Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lemon Basil Smoothie

Of course the book had to start with one that sounded a little bit risky to my taste buds. I had to pick up some lemon sorbet from the grocery store. I was looking in the ice cream section and am wondering if sorbet is the same thing as sherbert. I thought about asking someone, but you have to understand, I work at this store. If I asked a stupid question, I would never hear the end of it. So I called my Aunt Becky. She knows everything about cooking. When she answered I gave her fair warning I was going to ask a stupid question and she was not allowed to laugh. The first thing she does is laugh and say, "Too late." So I asked my question and discovered it is close enough to the same thing that I was safe. I looked all over for a Lemon Sherbert but none was to be found. As I'm at the very stinking end of the ice cream section I found it!! Lemon Sorbet even!! Problem: it was in one of those small individual size containers that are freaking expensive. Oh well.

At home I put it all together. I even was able to use the basil that I've been growing on my windowsill. Now I've never used fresh basil before. I know, I know. I wasn't quite sure the best way to chop it up. I kept thinking, I don't want big chunks, I don't want big chunks. And my pride would not let me call Becky again. So I used my little hand chopper thing. It didn't work. So I resorted to the old hand and knife method. In the end, it truly didn't matter as my big blender pureed it quite nicely. I blended it up. I poured myself a glass and nervously took a sip. Heaven on my tongue!! It was amazing!! I was so relieved. In a glass it smells a little bit funny. I can't put my finger on what it is, but my tongue was doing a little jig, so it was worth it! Oh P.S. the small individual serving size of lemon sorbet was exactly the amount I needed. So the second one I bought is a treat for me!! I like treats. . .

2 c. Lemon Sorbet *I used fat-free, it was all they had!!
1 c. Fat-Free Milk * I used 1%, it was all I had.
1 6 oz. container Vanilla Yogurt *I used fat-free, again, it was all they had.
2 t. Finely grated lemon peal
1/2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
2 T. chopped fresh basil
1 c. ice
Combine everything together until smooth. Pour into 3 glasses. Garnish with additional lemon peal and basil. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment